Transport Department, Chandigarh

Q. How to get vehicle registered after the expiry of Temporary Number ?

Ans. If vehicle is not registered within one month then a Liability Affidavit is required and if delay is for
three months or more then Police Report is required.


Q. Where to deposit the file in case of New Registration ?

Ans. The area for depositing the file along with time is mentioned below :



Vehicle Passing

Area under jurisdiction



R&LA, Main office

9 AM to 10 AM

Behind M.C. Building Sector-17, Chandigarh.

Sector 1-6, 8-10, 11-12, 14-15, 16-17, 22,23, 24,25, Dhanas, Kaimbwala, Saranpur, Khuda Lahora, Khuda Jasu, Khuda Alisher.

SDM (South)

10 AM to 11 AM

Hockey Stadium
SecĖ42, Chandigarh.

Sector 32 TO 46, 49, 52, 53, 55, 56, 61 Burail, Nizampur, Kajheri, Attawa, Dadu Majra, Shahpur, Maloya, Buterala, Badheri & Palsora.

SDM (East)

10 AM to 11 AM

Industrial Area, Ph-I, Near CTU Office, Chandigarh.

Sec-7, 18, 19, 20, 21, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 47, 48,Indl.Area Ph-I, Ph-II, Manimajra, Kishangarh, Mauli Jagran, Bair Majra, Karsan Hallo Majra, Behlana, Jhumru, Air Field, Col No.4, Raipur Khurd, Dariya, Bhagwanpur, Railway Col, Indira Col, Raipur Kalan & Modern Complex


Q. Is it necessary that the registered owner has to be available at the time of every transaction of vehicle ?

Ans. Yes, the applicant has to personally come for depositing the file in the office.

Q. If the applicant is not able to come personally, is there any provision that other person can deposit the papers in the office ?

Ans. Yes, if the applicant cannot come personally, then he/she will give a Authority letter to some other person with their signatures.


Q. Can I keep photocopies of registration certificates with vehicles ?

Ans. You should keep original registration certificate with your vehicle and keep photocopies at your home. The court can prosecute for not having original documents with you.

Q. From whom should I get the insurance Policy ?

Ans. Any authorized agent of insurance. You can select the agent of your choice who can also provide you service at the time of risk and can help you in process of claim formalities.

Q. Is it possible to Transfer the vehicle along with Hypothecation Termination ?

Ans. Yes, it is possible.


Q. What to do if vehicle is sold in other State ?

Ans. Seller has to get a NOC of vehicle for the other State.


Q. Can the transaction of the Registration Certificates be locked in the computer system, in case of Vehicle theft ?

Ans. Yes, the applicant may lock the RC in the computer system. So that no one can transfer that vehicle.

Q. What to do if donít have any residence proof ?

Ans. If the person donít have any residence proof then a Police Report from the concerned SHO with an Affidavit mentioning that the applicant donít have any other residence proof.


Q. What to do if donít have any Date of Birth proof ?

Ans. If the applicant do not have Date of Birth proof then a Certificate of age confirmation in case of illiterate person from Medical Officer of Government Dispensary.

Q. When should I get my Registration certificate after depositing the file ?

Ans. If the file is deposited in the R&LA, Sector 17 office then RC will be delivered within 2 hours and if the file deposited in the SDM (E) or SDM (S) office the RC will be delivered after 5 days.

Q. What are the applications and documents required for vehicle registration ?

Ans. For all requirements Click on Applications and Documents


  Transport Department, Chandigarh

Photo Gallery  ::  Tenders  ::  Right to Information  ::  Feedback  ::  Contact us

Copyright © 2006 Transport Department, U.T., Chandigarh